Youth Action & Policy Association NSW Inc
(Youth Action, previously YAPA)
ABN 17 209 492 539
Suite 403, 64-76 Kippax St SURRY HILLS NSW 2010 Australia
phone (02) 8218 9800
fax (02) 9281 5588
Eamon Waterford, Director - Policy & Advocacy
(02) 8218 9815 or 0431 534 790, or email@example.com
Youth Action is the peak organisation representing young people and youth services in NSW.
Youth Action works towards a society where all young people are supported, engaged and valued. To achieve this, it is the role of Youth Action to:
- Respond to social and political agendas relating to young people and the youth services sector
- Provide proactive leadership and advocacy and shape the agenda on issues affecting young people and youth services
- Collaborate on issues that affect young people and youth workers
- Promote a positive profile in the media and the community of young people and youth services
- Build capacity for young people to speak out and take action on issues that affect them
- Enhance the capacity of the youth services sector to provide high quality services
- Ensure Youth Action's organisational development, efficiency, effectiveness and good governance.
What has Youth Action achieved? See Annual Reports.
Events & training
Youth Action runs several events each year including:
- Conference for youth workers: August 2011. Next one late 2013.
- SHIFT THIS conference for young people: Next one late 2014
- Survival training for new youth workers: several times each year.
Policy & campaigns
Youth Action develops policy positions and submissions to government on key youth and youthwork issues. Youth Action representatives sit on a range of key government and non-government committees, ensuring that young people's and youth workers' perspectives are heard.
Newsletters, publications & members
yaprap bimonthly newsletter is mailed/ emailed to 1000 members and subscribers, with campaigns, innovative youth work, Youth Action news and events.
unleash is Youth Action's magazine of youth opinion and action. If you are under 20, unleash gives you the opportunity to express your opinions on issues that concern you.
Our Members are young people (aged 12-25) and youth services and groups. Members receive yaprap newsletter and unleash magazine, get some discounts for training and conferences and elect our Board of Governance.
Western Sydney Project
Youth Action is funded to run a separate Western Sydney Project. The Regional Youth Development Officer works in the interests of young people and youth services across Western Sydney by:
working to raise a positive profile of young people in the region and promoting youth issues
monitoring and responding to government policies and proposals
providing training on a wide range of issues to young people and youth workers
developing relevant campaigns and ensure a Western Sydney perspective in YAPA campaigns
providing phone information, referral and resources
advocating and lobbying on behalf of young people in decision making process which affect their lives.
The Western Sydney Project covers the 11 local council areas of: Auburn, Bankstown, Blacktown, Blue Mountains, Fairfield, Hawkesbury, Holroyd, Liverpool, Parramatta, Penrith & The Hills.
Keeping It Together (KIT)
NSW Family Services Inc (FamS) and the Youth Action and Policy Association have been jointly funded to implement the Keeping It Together sector support project, by the Family and Community Programs Unit in Community Services, NSW Department of Human Services. The Project provides assistance to services in the non-government youth and family services sectors that are impacted by the implementation of the Keep Them Safe Action Plan (KTS) and the changes to the Community Services Grants Program (CSGP).
More about Youth Action
- media releases & media coverage
- youth policies
- jobs & opportunities
- other peak bodies in other parts of Australia